[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Lamma Forums • View topic - why? why put poison out?
Lamma.com.hk

LAMMA-ZINE - CLASSIFIEDS - EVENTS - GALLERIES - LINKS - Subscribe - Donate - Advertise - Contact Us - Facebook

WHAT'S NEW? Bike Clearance ~ Lamma Island bolt-hole ~ Beautiful island ~ Lamma Guide
  WHAT'S ON?    Quiz Night ~ Art Breakfast ~ Game Night ~ Summer Camp ~ MTB Enduro Race
  LAMMA-ZINE:  Free Dining Coupons ~ Andy's Seafood ~ Wildlife Contest ~ Lamma Life 

It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: why? why put poison out?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:23 pm 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

For the past year or so, i have often heard about pet and stray animals dying painful deaths because of poisoning. :( people (or rather criminals) have been putting out poisonous baits on our streets luring these poor animals. locations for these poisoning varied from tai-peng to the main street (near post office), from sha-po to tai-wan and beyond. why? why are these people so cruel? :evil: what if these poisonous baits reach the hands of our innocent little children?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:50 pm 
Cuter than a Fractal!

Iagree, its pretty scary,
:roll: I've already lost one animal to poisoning.

There are people who put it down on purpose, but there are also a couple of other ways poison gets put down. :twisted:

During the festivals, poison is put in the food offerings on graves to deter animals from eating it

strong poisons are also put down twice a year to keep back local vegetation before the rains .. the idea being that the rain wil dilute the poison and so kill lots of plants on its way into the undergrowth. If you can find out when these times are (anyone know?!) its a good idea to keep pets in.

not a ideal safe situation for children I agree!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 7:10 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

I can guarantee that within earshot of any poison placement is a fucking cretin who keeps six large dogs in a small flat, locks them in all day and only walks them far enough to take a crap. I won't say that putting poison down is a good response but I can undertand why. (if only certain dog owners could be tricked into eating it)

Post subject: !
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:24 pm 
Classy Rock Goddess & Miss Lamma.com.hk!

http://thinkingoutloud.com.hk
Guitars & Panties:
http://guitarsandpanties.com
Sisters of Sharon:
http://www.sistersofsharon.com.hk/

Post subject: please make a fuss!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:00 pm 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

a friend found two poor kittens dying of poisoning near the post office around end of August. she decided to bring the issue of animal poisoning to the police. today, she received a reply, excerpts hereunder:

".....We have no evidence at this moment to prove or disprove that poisoned food was the cause of the dead of the two cats mentioned in your letter as their corpses had been disposed. Since poisoning of pets falls into the charter of the 'Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Ordinance (Cap.169), we shall liaise with the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department to discuss the possibility of placing warning notice on the island.

Meanwhile, as we discussed before, please ask those who are acquainted to you not to let their pets to go outside alone so as to assist in preventing further happening of similar cases."

since the police needed a corpse to determine a case :roll: , would anyone who happens to run into the next poor victim to make A GREAT FUSS with the police. please also try to call LAP at 2982-4018 so that if someone from LAP is around, they could help with the case.

anyone has any better ideas?

Post subject: Another cat poisoned!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:51 pm 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Post subject: anti-poison
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 6:08 pm 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:54 am 
Cuter than a Fractal!

The anitipoison came from a friend who lived near by.

My cat is only 6 months .. so i'm pretty sure he wouldnt have survived if the injection hadnt come so quickly

he got it from Hans the vet. It comes in a syringe and you have to inject it into the animals neck ....

I have spoken to a few people and this doesnt seem to be common knowledge! I dont know if it only works on certain poisons .. does anyone else know more about this drug and how it works??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 8:50 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

The injection is most likely an antidiarrheal.
If your loved one is poisoned, whether you have access to this injection or not, try to get the animal to vomit. After vomiting, squirt in a mixture of water and activated charcoal powder. It is worthwhile for everybody with pets to have activated charcoal and a large syringe on hand.

We all need to be very vigilant, it takes a split second for a deadly poison to be eaten (and some can be absorbed through the skin). All cases of poisoning should be reported to the police, it must be taken seriously.

A lot of people think it is safe in certain areas. It is not! I cannot think of an area of Lamma which is not targeted for malicious poisoning. It is everywhere and the victims are the innocent.

Post subject: activated charcoal
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:11 am 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

yes, all pet owners should be prepared. can you advise us on where to get activated charcoal powder? what would be the ratio to use?

Post subject: Locations of poisonings
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:26 am 

Although I know Pak Kok has bad times of year for poisoning, as well as different parts of Yung Shue Wan, are there some specific locations to be careful I should know about?

Twinkle likes to munch on the crab apples and it's tricky trying to stop her seeking these out. Despite keeping a close eye on her, there are times I'm not sure what's she's found!

Activated Charcoal - I'd also like to know where to get it.

Thanks

Mr Tough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:41 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

You can get activated charcoal from Dr Hans, call to see if he has any or can order it for you. it is also available in many pharmacies. You can get pills but the powder is better because you can syringe it into the victim. I think you can buy it in liquid form, which would be best.

It is hard to access how much i have used in the past ... it is a messy business with vomit and charcoal and an animal in agony. I have just mixed a load with water and squirted. Unlike the antidiarrheal it is harmless so I wouldn't worry too much about dosage. I think a small risk could be that you force liquid into the lungs if your animal cannot swallow, particularly if s/he is fitting or going into a coma. so you need to access the situation, weigh the risk of almost certain death from poisoning against the much slighter risks of aspiration of charcoal water.

[You can also get emetics like ipecac syrup but i find it takes too long to work.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:25 am 
Site Admin, Webmaster, Lamma-zine Editor

Sheila, e & other concerned people,

Just to let you know that I've been promoting this topic in this week's e-zine, sent to our members and linked from the top of every page on My Lamma.

We need to let as many people as possible know about your very helpful and not widely known emergency instructions here.

Hopefully it'll save a few lives...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:37 am 
over 100 messages posted
over 100 messages posted

another point. the injection, as far as i know, is used with organophosphate (pesticide and chemical warfare) poisoning. i don't know what effect it would have on paraquat (herbicide) poisoning.
vomiting and charcoal would be ok for both I think - diatomacious clay is also used for paraquat poisoning.

If you look up organophosphate poisoning or paraquat poisoning you get a very scary picture of the appalling suffering these dreadful chemicals cause.
Have everything on hand act very quickly if you suspect poisoning.

Post subject: poisoner strikes again!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:39 am 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

All Pet-owners, feral cat carers, please be ALERT!

There are recent cases of poisoning around Tai-peng again. Please keep an eye on your pet. One feral cat has died yesterday.

Post subject: beware!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:05 pm 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

All Pet Owners, Feral-Cat Carers: Please be Alert!

Further to my last message that poison was found in Tai-Peng, there is word today that posion is spotted around the Tennis Court in Tai Wan. Please take extra care and keep your dogs on a leash.

Post subject: warning!
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:41 pm 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

Warning Again!

yesterday, may 28th, two dogs were being poisoned on the cable road near
the tennis courts. one luckily survived ONLY because the vet was open!!

Please be aware!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:26 am 
Pets Forum Co-Moderator

WARNING!! WARNING!! POISON AT TAI PENG -
Sprayed Paraquat

Several dogs were found to be poisoned and 2 were found dead yesterday. It was believed that paraquat was sprayed in the vicinity and the dogs came into contact with the sprayed weeds. We managed to rescue one to the vet . He is still surviving but chances that he will live through it is very slim.

Pleas take note!